Thursday, June 6, 2013

What does it take to have a successful wedding and Marriage?

I love this class! I am learning so many wonderful things in this class!
I really enjoy my teacher. He gave a  different version of "love" that I had never heard of before.
It goes something like this "Love is the commitment of the spiritual growth and well-being of the other."
I find this very interesting. As I am learning about the dating process which will eventually lead to marriage and beyond, I am finding that there is truth to this statement. I am learning that commitment and communication are essential for the health and wellness of a marriage. If each spouse is committed to the spiritual growth and well-being of the other, then they will have a successful marriage.
I like the point that my teacher brought up about Adam and Eve, our first parents. Eve was  created to be "an help meet" to Adam. She was not created inferior to Adam, but to be his equal and to provide help.

The next thing we discussed was the correlation between  what makes a great wedding to Critical Tasks for early marriage. At first, I could hardly think of any. Mainly, because I am not married, or havent been involved in helping plan on.
However, as the class was discussing this topic, they came up with several points that correspond with each other.
Here they are:
Great Wedding                                                    Critical tasks for early marriage
Husband and wife -- all decisions                        Clear boundaries around new system
Less extravagant wedding                                     Budgeting resources
Talk about things openly in planning                    Honest and open communication
Making important decisions together                    Division of responsibilities, cooperation
Make plans, ask God to approve                           Set priorities
Make decisions together                                        Make decisions together -- most difficult thing
                                                                               Accomodate each other
The "honeymoon" helps the couple bond together, and get to know each other more. This also helps unify the couple as one. So when they couple come back, they come back as a new unit. :)

The last thing I wish to add is in marriage, it is not natural to set aside what you want, it's divine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great job! I like the last note about how sexual intimacy creates a oneness in marriage not only with each other but with God. What other preparatory steps do you think can be taken to improve the quality of marriage as newlyweds?